A sluice gate by Sibley and Sons of Parrett Works

Written by Fergus

Sibley sluice Extracted from SIAS Bulletin 107

In 2007 these gates were removed by the Environment Agency from the River Parrett at Langport, where they were thought to be an obstruction and thus a potential cause of flooding.

The original installation, which was to aid river navigation by increasing the depth of water, dates from 1838/9. The gates were designed to be self-acting, opening whenever the water level in the river exceeded four feet. In 1921 the weir was repaired and partially rebuilt by Sibley & Sons of the Parrett Works, Martock. In 2007 the gates were taken to Westonzoyland Pumping Station for further study and possible restoration and display.

Photo by David Greenfield.