Ash House Hotel

No 4 on Tithe Map, owned and occupied by Arthur Bedford Peppin 1840. ABP was a surgeon in Lyme Regis, and married Caroline Codrington in Milverton on 18th July 1822. In 1851 living at Ash House with wife, 4 children and 3 servants.

Manor Farm, Ash

No. 1 on Tithe Map, owned by William Cole Wood, occupied by William Indoe. W C Wood was Martock’s wealthiest man, a clothier, who built Ashfields House c.1848

Last house on right of Borough

On Tithe Map, no 90, owned and occupied by George Slade, who had about 25 acres (all owned/occupied). He or another George Slade was Lord of the Manor of Martock until c.1811, and built the Market House and Pinnacle c.1780.

Ash School (present day)

Built, built between 1823 and 140, in part of Witcombe Field. Owned by William Haggett Richards and Thos & Mary Richards of Stapleton. The Richards were progressive farmers who, with the help of a large mortgage, in 1796 purchased the 600+ acre manor of Stapleton. Converted to school c2000.

Ash church

Nave built 1839-41. Architect was Sampson Kempthrone, best known for his Workhouses in London. The builder was Joseph Rodford. The chancel built 1887, by J.N. Johnston. The tower built 1919, as a war memorial,by C.B. Benson (who also rebuilt the Blake Hall in South Petherton), following the bare lancet style of the original. The tower gives a rural Irish charm


A prosperous stuccoed villa of c.1850 with fancy brage boards. In 1899 (Theophilus) Stanley Bradford lived here, and was elected chair of Parish Council. He was chairman for 46 years. Mr Bradford was born at Moorlands House in Martock, and took over running the family builders supplies firm, still running today.

Britannia House

In Back Lane built kate 1980s by stone masons from FJT England using façade, including the gabled bay window, and 1640 fireplace from the demolished Britannia Inn, Vicarage St, Yeovil. Back wall rose window of Long Load WM, other material from Cartgate railway bridge.